Sunday, October 19, 2008

Topics Discussed with dates spanning discussions:

Power Teaching


  • These include descriptions of classroom activities, resources (books, Web sites, books, magazines, etc), and issues that were discussed.
I work in a very hard school. The students are difficult with behavior problems and, quite frankly, they are not the most motivated children to learn. Most of the forty minutes I have with my classes is either trying to enforce the rules I set into my classroom, or less time teaching them the information that they need to know. What could be an effective way to help them learn, even if they don’t know they are learning?

When I read the posting on “Power Teaching”, I’ll admit I was more skeptical than curious. But, as a new teacher, I figured it was better to try and broaden my teaching horizons and see what else was out there. It was interesting, to say the least. “Power Teaching” is a method of teaching by using the one idea that teachers want most, yet when it is given to the class sometimes havoc ensues: fun. Students learn best when they are enjoying themselves, which is true, and that is one of the bases of “Power Teaching”. This method also believes in a structured and orderly classroom to make certain that the fun does not get out of hand. The creators of “Power Teaching” have five simple rules that are to be followed at all times: raise your hand to speak, raise your hand to get of your seat, always think before you say something, follow directions, and make your teacher happy. The method uses fun games and activities, along with collaborative learning, that help students gain the motiviation that they lack.

  • Explain areas of agreement, disagreement, concerns, advise, etc. Go beyond just summarizing what was posted. Remember the reader was not part of the discussions so provide necessary information.
Though there was no comments as of yet, I am interested in what other teachers would say. Clearly it is a form of technology, but (as in case to where I am now) not all schools have technology available. Can it be used in a traditional classroom? Can it work for all students? Does it promote higher learning to all students, even those who have IEPs and learning disabilities? c.

  • Include any follow-up of activities that you tried with your students that you had learned about from the list, shared with other teachers, or used for another graduate course.
I am actually hesitant to try this with my students. I have instituted a “Fun Friday” with my classes, and even then it tends to get a little crazy. I have to be very strict with my classes, and I honestly believe that I would share this with those teachers that are in the younger grades rather than higher education. There are two teachers in mind that I’ll recommend this to, both with technology readily available, and I will have to ask them if they would be interested in giving it a try with their students.

2 comments:

SJUPROF said...

Hi - I am intrigued by the Power Teaching method, but your description did not provide me with enough details. Please elaborate more so the reader understands this method.

Th rule, Make your teacher happy seems unusual. The others are very specific behaviors , and this is so open ended.

Are there specific games and activities that are used. So far does not seem so different from traditional teaching philosophies.

You mention that technology is used. I didn't see how. Please tell me.

Did you share the technique with teachers in your school? Did they use it and any feedback.

FYI - Higher education usually refers to college. Better to use higher grades.

I look forward to your comments that will tell me more about Power Teaching.

Pisces said...

From what I read, the "Power Teaching" really refers more to structure than anything. The teacher steps away from the traditional role, and uses a more of a team approach. The students work together to formulate answers on different subject material.

What the five rules do is give the structure and outline to the madness that could be come of such a classroom. Some of them made sence, like raising your hand for most things, and keeping calm, but the "keeping your teacher happy" comment also struck me as odd. The reasoning behind it, that the authors gave, is that the students learn that the teacher has the power to take away the "Power Teaching" and go back to the textbooks and notebooks instead of the game based, cooperative learning style. In that fact, by keeping your teacher happy ultimately means just following the other for rules.

The teacher that used the "Power Teaching" was in a forth grade class, and had the use of a SmartBoard within her room. She had made mention that she used the SmartBoard to show the websides that worked with the methods she used. I honestly think that this method would be easier in the lower grades, and especially with some sort of technology inside the room that all students can see and use.