Sunday, October 26, 2008

Always organize

TeacherBlog: http://www.teachercreated.com/blog/?p=31

  • These include descriptions of classroom activities, resources (books, Web sites, books, magazines, etc), and issues that were discussed.

As a first year teacher (well technically second but it’s my first year teaching a core subject) I am starting to get a better understanding on how to run a classroom. What management strategies can help benefit a classroom and students, how to successfully work out your plans for the week, and even how to work with colleagues on how to gain resources to benefit students.

But in a world full of papers, tests, assignments, and books, how do we manage to organize it all?
The author discusses the benefits on organization inside the classroom. With everything in its right place, the author says that organization will not only benefit the teacher but the students as well. How the teacher organizes their room is a clear sign of what she expects from her students, in both organization of their own and behavior wise. Students seem to respond better in an environment that is clean, safe, and predictable.

The author also describes the benefits toward a teacher:

The immediate benefits of a well-organized classroom to the teacher are clear—less wasted time and therefore more efficiency. Not so immediately apparent, perhaps, are the following very significant elements:

  • reduced teacher fatigue

• improved student-teacher relations

• improved parent-teacher relations

• increased job satisfaction

• increased enthusiasm for professional growth

• increased student academic progress

  • Explain areas of agreement, disagreement, concerns, advise, etc. Go beyond just summarizing what was posted. Remember the reader was not part of the discussions so provide necessary information.
I have to agree with this completely. I remember when I first started and how hard it was to actually put things into place, watch my students, and give out the next assignment. Now I have come to learn that having everything, almost every detail, put in a place where I can remember is so helpful. I can hand out assignments quickly, and I’m not scrambling for last minute things.

  • Include any follow-up of activities that you tried with your students that you had learned about from the list, shared with other teachers, or used for another graduate course.
I know how important organization is to me, and I stress it very heavily on my classes. I check to see if everything is put away in their desks and cubbies, and that nothing is left behind. They understand that the first step to accomplishment is to be organized in your work.

2 comments:

SJUPROF said...

HI Pisces:

I don't remember who is going by the name Pisces. Please remind me.

Avoid quoting the source, and instead paraphrase. Did you learn any specific techniques to help organize your classroom? Did other teachers join in the discussion.

Include more substance in future posts. This primarily was just on teacher's posting. If you are not getting enough to write about, then join another discussion board or mailing list and discuss more than one for the week. Remember the emphasis is on summarizing a discussion where different points of view are presented.

I look forward to reading more synthesis of discussions in your future posts.

Dr. S

Pisces said...

Pisces is Jenn.

I learned a lot from the teachers and from the article. Most of the teachers that I work with tell me that organization does not just come with papers and books, but in your lesson plan. I learned this year especially that a well organized lesson helps the students stay focused and the teacher from going crazy.

And with my students that's very important.